Friday, February 12, 2016

writers as readers

1
when i read, i need to be comfortable. that usually replies a large amount of blankets and a very warm room with low lighting, just enough to easily see what i'm reading. i tend to be siting up straight with my legs slightly bent so that i can prop my book on my thighs. often, i do need to be eating a snack, or more commonly, drinking hot tea.
2
i think realistic fiction is the most appealing genre to me, because it could actually be possible. what happens in those books could actually happen, or could actually have happened to someone. it's nice to think of my little piece of fiction becoming a reality.
6
i assume my first reading teachers were my parents, but i honestly don't remember them ever teaching me. all i remember is that when my brother and i were little, my parents would read to us out of Laura Ingalls Wilder books before we went to bed. i don't remember a lot about my childhood, but i do remember how my brother and i were always extremely excited to listen to our parents recite them to us. 
11
when i write, i really only envision the reader to be me, or someone like me. i guess my top priority when writing is to write something that i myself would like to read. having a reader in my mind definitely sways the type of writing i do and what happens in that writing. i want to write something that if i read it i would be fascinated by. if i don't love it, i don't want to write about it. for me, writing is all about myself and what makes me happy. i don't think there is a difference between writing for myself and knowing other people will read it. if i'm writing for myself, then i know that when other people read it i will be proud of and stand my ground for every idea that i have in that particular piece of writing. i am my toughest critic, and if i approve of my writing, then i have no doubt that other people will approve as well. if they don't, i don't care, because my own approval is the only approval i need. 
12
i think reading and writing go hand in hand. if you read a lot, you are exposed much more often to different writing styles, words, sentence structures, ideas, etc. if you begin to read a lot, it's probably going to be impossible for your reading not to improve. i definitely think the books we read have a big influence on how we write, even if we don't notice that it does. we're picking up on things we like and dislike unconsciously, and translating that into our own work.


1 comment:

  1. How sweet that you and your brother so looked forward to being read to...My son would always ask for me to read "just a couple more" when he was little. I think in a way he just liked the one-on-one attention being paid to him. I agree with what you said about how when we read "we're picking up on things we like and dislike unconsciously, and translating that into our own work." Yes.

    ReplyDelete