Tuesday, February 16, 2016

memorable quote

"If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."
-Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

i think the reason i like this quote so much is because i identify so fully with it. i can't make decisions to save my life. i hate drive-thrus with a passion for just that reason. once i get to the speaker i panic, making a rash decision, which i immediately regret. if i never had to make another decision ever, i'd be perfectly okay with that. sadly, i don't think that's ever going to happen. i will be stuck going back and forth from one thing to another for the rest of my life, but i guess that's okay. i also like how this passage shows what a contradiction that esther, the main character is. seeing how she is this way makes me feel a little better about how i am myself. i'll be in the same boat as sylvia plath, neurotic as hell and unable to figure out what i want. but, like, a happy neurotic. 

1 comment:

  1. "But, like, a happy neurotic." : ) You reminded me I need to read The Bell Jar again. It's been a long time.

    ReplyDelete