Wednesday, March 30, 2016

foreign exchange letter (betty)

Dear Sophia,

Hi! My Chinese name is Zhang Yujia. (In China,Yujia is my first name and Zhang is my family name.) And my English name is Betty. I’m in Kevin James’s English class. I’m 18 years old and a freshman in Qingdao University. I major in English and minor in French. I have just graduated from high school for about 8 months. At first, I missed my family very much but gradually I adapt to the new school life. I make friends with my new classmates, participate in many interesting activities and study very hard. My college life is very colorful. Hearing that you will go to college in 2 months, may you have a happy school life!
As for my family, I am the only child in my family. Because in our country there is a policy that one family shall have no more than one child if they live in a city. I always long for a brother or sister, who can play with me so that I won’t feel lonely. There are 3 children in your family, so you must have a fulfilling family life. I love animals but my mom doesn’t allow me to have one at home because she think I don’t have either the time or the energy to take good care of it. My favorite colors are pink,blue and purple. I love music and sing songs. Now I’m studying how to play the guitar. From my perspective, it is cool to play the guitar while singing a song. Different from you, I like sunny days because the sunlight makes me feel delighted. In my spare time, I always go out with my friends or study in the library. I hate the feeling of being alone and I like being accompanied. I hope I can be admitted into a famous graduate school after graduating from college, so I have to study hard from now.
Our university is in a city called Qingdao. It’s a seaside city with agreeable weather. There are many places of interest in Qingdao. I decided to visit all of them before graduation. If you come to Qingdao, we can appreciate these beautiful views together. I have been wanting to find a foreign friend for a long time. I hope I can write to or chat with him or her to improve my English. I’m very glad to be acquainted with you. Hoping we can become good friends and keep in touch with each other.
Attached photos of me. I’m looking forward to your reply.
Sincerely,
Betty

Dear Betty,
I’m sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but I was gone for a while because of spring break, and it is difficult to respond to your letters because of the restrictions we have on our computers at school. However, I have read your letters and you sound very interesting! You sound very musically gifted with being able to both sing and play guitar. I used to play the piano, but I quit when I got to high school. I still love to sing and love all types of music. I’m actually going to a concert for one of my favorite bands in a couple of weeks. It is also amazing to me that you are multilingual. I speak some Spanish, but I could never imagine being able to speak three different languages. You must be very smart.
I’m so glad to hear that you love college. I hope I’ll love it too! I am very independent though, so I don’t think I will miss my family quite as much as you said you missed yours. My brother is already in college so I don’t see him very often anyway. I am hoping to be able to be as involved as you are with outside activities and make friends as well.
Qingdao sounds like a very beautiful city. I absolutely love the ocean, it is so big and beautiful. If I ever visit China, I will make sure that I visit Qingdao.
I read your piece about your photo albums and I loved it! You were very descriptive and I felt like I could see your story in my mind. It was very interesting and uplifting. I especially loved when you talked about your favorite photo album. It is important to love yourself and your looks. You sound like a very confident, strong person. Those are very admirable qualities.
Sincerely,
Sophia
P.S. The pictures you attached of yourself are lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment