Friday, January 8, 2016

I am…
I am the middle child, confined to being a comparison of others, not an entity in myself.
I am the “rebellious one,” the one who can’t keep her mouth shut or her head down.
I am brazen and ferocious, called intimidating by some and passionate by others.
I am feminism and the belief that everyone was created equally.
I am something, I am nothing.

But I am also a love for broken things, for broken people.
I am the one who will be there after everything has fallen apart.
I am mix CDs and sweaters and hot tea on gray and rainy days.
I am Netflix and naps with friends, buried in masses of pillows and fuzzy blankets.
I am poetry about the things that fascinate me.
I am music in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep and no one is awake.
I am a gunshot that sends me running, adrenaline rushing, with kicking legs and beating heart, over hurdle after hurdle.
I am strength in numbers, a group of friends with so much love that anything is possible.
I am the ocean pulling itself onto the sand and grasping at ankles, I am snow settling on a quiet world, I am mountain peaks pushing into the sky, and stars splashed across an infinite background.
I am dreams of travel, of big cities and natural wonders, of a job that I love and a person that I love more.
I am ready to get out.

3 comments:

  1. This was, frankly, kind of beautiful. Good work.

    ...Feminism is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, Sophia. What you said about being the rebel middle child reminds me of my sister, and what you said about dreaming of travel to big cities reminds me of my son. I remember the gunshot from my days running track, too, and the butterflies just before... You are lucky to have a group of friends that make you feel empowered and that there are all sorts of possibilities. Thanks, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete