Friday, January 29, 2016

blue white orange black

As I shifted my gaze out to sea, the world became eclipsed in blue. The sky glared almost electrically, looking like someone had adjusted the saturation to 100%. At the horizon, it melded into the sea, blending into the cool waves. Leveling my gaze downward, the incoming tide provided a steely contrast to the pale sand in which my feet were firmly planted.

I turned away from the water, hiking up the shifting sand to my beach towel, and flopped down onto my stomach on the white hot sand.I squinted into the blinding light, watching heat waves bend the scene before me. I absentmindedly ran my fingers through the sun bleached dunes, picking through pearly shells as I drifted to sleep.


When I awoke, the whole world was washed in orange. The burning sun dipped so low in the sky that it nearly touched the water. It was now a glowing fireball, light glinting off the waves like sparks. I pushed myself up to watch the streaked sky transform as the sun sunk even lower, digging my feet into the saffron sand. 


In just a few minutes, the sun had disappeared, blackening the previously bright beach scene. The whole beach was washed in shadows, darkening the valleys between dunes. The water was now an oil slick, beckoning ominously of the things beneath it. 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful scene you've painted. I like the lines about sifting through the sand and shells and that last line referencing all that's hidden--good and bad--under the water.

    ReplyDelete