Friday, April 1, 2016

Dear Jennifer and Betty,

In my class lately, we have been discussing stereotypes and perceptions of Americans and those of other cultures. I know that for you, you probably hear a lot about Americans being fat and loud. You probably also hear that we are dumb and lazy. While I can’t deny that some of us are some or all of those things, I can say that not all of us are. As an American looking at Chinese people, there are also many inaccurate stereotypes that I have heard about your culture. Some of the things I have heard commonly are that all Chinese people eat is rice and noodles, all they do is work, they are very smart (which I’m sure is accurate!), and they eat cats and dogs. Some of these things you may think sound right, while others sound silly. I’m just repeating what I’ve heard.

Some things that are very big issues in America at the moment are same sex marriage, legalizing marijuana, racism, sexism, religious persecution, immigration, politics (because of the upcoming presidential election), and gun control laws. Do you see anything that is also an issue for you in China?

Some of the issues I listed in my previous paragraph are issues that I have very strong opinions on. Some of the time I am able to talk to people about them without getting angry or passionate, but oftentimes I find myself in the middle of a debate or argument if someone disagrees with me. What type of person are you?

I’m sure by seeing the clips of American television that you have, you are probably confused as to whether it is good to intervene in people’s business or not. All I can say is that if it puts someone in danger or harm’s way, it should be appropriate to intervene. Danger may come in the form of physical danger or harassment.

One issue I listed that was a big problem in America is sexism. On the question of whether misogyny is still an issue in America, my answer is a firm yes. As you probably saw in the episode of Wife Swap we watched, the man of the house often talked back and said degrading things to the woman, along with expecting her to do traditionally female tasks, such as make dinner for him and cater to his every need.

I don’t know how different Chinese women are to American women. American women are still fighting to be treated and recognized as equal to men. Do Chinese women also have this issue? Is it better? Worse? Do women have different roles than men?

Thank you for reading and considering all of the questions in this letter. I hope you get back to me soon!

Sincerely,
Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment